10 Years of Citylife
To celebrate our 10th anniversary, we reflect on the past, revel in the present and look to the future of City Life Magazine
— and the community it calls home.
10 Reasons to Love Vaughan
1. A Focus on Health Care Between SickKids opening Boomerang Health and the forthcoming Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, Vaughan is providing more access to excellent medical services than ever before.
2. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Subway Extension Not only is the Vaughan Metro Centre revolutionizing the downtown core, but the Toronto-York Spadina subway extension will link residents to the sights and sounds of Canada’s most exciting city.
3. Home to Star Athletes From basketball prodigy Andrew Wiggins to top-20 tennis pro Milos Raonic and Olympic gold medalist Rosie MacLennan, elite athletes are a dime a dozen in the Vaughan area.
4. Fantastic Dining With a diverse demographic and a citizenry passionate about their cuisine, Vaughan boasts numerous fine-dining establishments that could tango with Toronto’s best.
5. Great Shopping The boutiques on Market Lane, the chic outlets at Vaughan Mills — there are plenty of avenues for fashionistas to do their thing.
6. Canada’s Wonderland Because having the most roller coasters in the country right at your doorstep is pretty sweet.
7. A Giving Community From noble social endeavors, like the Vitanova Foundation and a Yellow Brick House women’s shelter, to generous charity galas, Vaughan is a community that knows how to give back.
8. The McMichael Canadian Art Collection Because having a renowned Canadian-focused gallery shows the city’s dedication to the arts. And if there’s anything Glee has taught us it’s that art is the coolest.
9. Exotic Car Dealerships Yes, we have a Ferrari (Ferrari Maserati of Ontario) and a Lamborghini (Lamborghini Uptown Toronto) dealership right here in Vaughan. If the sexiest of sports cars don’t turn your crank, well, we just feel sorry for you.
10. A Growing Cityscape With more developments than slices of pepperoni on a meat-lovers pizza, Vaughan is experiencing a metamorphosis that’s ushering in a new era for the city. We can’t wait to see it unfold.
10 Best Quotes From Past Issues
1. “I’m totally down with lying and deceiving, especially when it comes to making people healthy” — Rocco DiSpirito, celebrity chef
2. “I believe that it is important to fail — to occasionally not experience success. These are the opportunities we have in life to learn and to grow as people”
— Johann Olav Koss, Right to Play International founder and CEO
3. “Anything you do from a sense of opportunity, you’re going to do differently. I see corporate social opportunity, in other words, corporate philanthropy, as an incredible opportunity to change the world. I find amusement when I hear people say, ‘Oh yeah, but with great wealth comes great obligation.’ No. With great wealth comes great opportunity”
— W. Brett Wilson, entrepreneur and philanthropist
4. “I find the best thing to do when you get stuck is really just stop, take a break, because the answer always comes, and it will come in the most bizarre moment”
— Steven Reineke, principal pops conductor of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra
5. “Real innovation is just about seeing possibility and connecting ideas. That’s it. My favorite definition of innovation is, ‘an old idea meets a new idea, and then something changes’”
— Amanda Lang, senior business correspondent at CBC
6. “Food does not have to be something that we revere. We have to actually understand it and use it to our advantage. We go too much for the fluff and not enough for the value and the quality” — Massimo Capra, celebrity chef
7. “It isn’t the amount you save, it is the discipline you establish that sets you up for life financially” — Patricia Lovett-Reid, CTV News Channel’s chief financial commentator
8. “Death is very likely the single best invention of life. It’s life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life” — Steve Jobs, co-founder and former CEO of Apple Inc.
9. “Every single person in the world could be a genius at something, if they practiced it daily for at least 10 years” — Robin Sharma, motivational speaker and bestselling author
10. “It’s a mistake to think that once you’re done with school you need never learn anything new” — Lisa Ray, actress and model
Hang 10: Where to “Hang Out” in Vaughan
T2 Lounge (Voted Best Restaurant in Vaughan)
Food and Fun
Dave and Busters
Enjoying the Game
Wegz Stadium Bar
Connecting with Nature
Boyd Conservation Area
Pierre Berton Resource Library
Pierre berton resource center